In today’s fast-paced world our health is always at stake. We are consumed by the activities we do to learn, earn the living and survive. But in all this hassle we forget the importance of taking care of our health. We do not get enough time to do physical exercises and sometimes our daily work drains out all the energy from our body so do not want to do it. Today, it has become crucial to take care of our physical and mental health. And that is when yoga comes into the picture.
21st June is celebrated as the International Yoga Day around the world. In this article, we have given you all the information about the 3rd international yoga day 2018, such as the theme for 2018, history and origin of the yoga day, first international yoga day, the importance of yoga day, and celebration ideas for celebrating the yoga day in schools and offices. This information will help you to write an essay on international yoga day, speech on yoga day, for other competitions and to celebrate the yoga day in your school or office, workplace. So let’s begin.
International Yoga Day 2018 | World Yoga Day 2018
Introduction to the International Yoga Day 2018
The international day of Yoga is celebrated on 21 June across the world. It was started in 2015. The day is observed and celebrated to promote the importance of Yoga and how it helps in the betterment of our life by doing the yoga and meditation. The international yoga day was declared unanimously by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). The date 21 June was proposed by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his Un speech as it is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and it has special significance in many parts of the world. So if you are gonna google “is Today International Yoga Day?”. Here is your answer.
History and Origin of International Yoga Day 2018
The first International Yoga Day was celebrated on 21 June 2015. The observance of the yoga day was proposed by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his speech at the UNGA, on 27 September 2014, where he said that,
Yoga is an invaluable gift of India’s ancient tradition. It embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfillment; harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being. It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with yourself, the world and the nature. By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, it can help in well being. Let us work towards adopting an International Yoga Day.
After this initial proposal, the UNGA held informal consultations on the draft resolution which was entitled as “International Day of Yoga”, on 14 October 2014.
International Yoga Day 2018 Theme | World Yoga Day 2018 Theme
The theme for International Yoga Day 2017 was “Yoga for Health”. This theme was used to promote the inclusion of yoga in our daily life to achieve a healthy lifestyle and make yoga a part of people’s lifestyle for its benefits for body and mind. The theme for International Yoga Day 2018 is not officially declared yet. But we are sure the theme would help to promote the vision of the observance of the day.
Importance of International Yoga Day | Objectives and Goals
Yoga is the gift of ancient India to the world. Yoga helps to achieve the healthy body and peace of mind. And it has already helped millions of people around the world to enhance and improve their lifestyle by including yoga in their daily routine. Hence it is important to make the yoga reach more and more people around the world. The international yoga day is observed to spread the awareness about yoga to more people and encourage them to include yoga in their daily life and adopt the healthy lifestyle inclusive of yoga to achieve the health and well-being of the mind.
International Yoga Day Celebration Ideas for Schools & Office
Yoga can be helpful for leading a healthy lifestyle and hence it is importance to make kids aware of yoga in their early life. To promote the importance and benefits of yoga in our life amongst the students International Yoga Day should be celebrated in education institutes like schools and colleges. Here we have given some celebration ideas and activities to celebrate the International Yoga Day in your school or college.
- Various workshops, lectures, yoga camps lead by the yoga experts can be organized by the school to spread awareness about the yoga among the students.
- As the focus of International Yoga Day would be on Group yoga demonstrations based on Common Yoga Protocol (CYP), which will help to familiarize the students and teachers with the yoga activities.
- Schools can provide material like yoga mats, caps having the logo of IDY to the students and teachers.
- School can also organize various competitions such as essay writing, speech, etc which would based on the yoga theme.
- School can also show the live screening of Doordarshan’s national telecast related to International day of Yoga on 21st June, 2018 to the students.
- If the school has an official newsletter, bulletin or magazine, articles related to yoga and meditation can be showcased to make students interested in the future activities.
- Banners, cut outs, posters, charts having useful information about yoga such as importance, benefits and activities of yoga can be displyes in the school campus.
- The office management can organize yoga camps and various competitions for their employees. This will help them to spread awareness about the yoga among the employees.
PM’s Yoga Award
on the second International Day of Yoga in 2016, Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi announced two Yoga awards. The International and National yoga awards. The purpose of the yoga award is to recognize the individuals, groups and organizations who contributed to spread awareness about the yoga and take substantial efforts to reach the goal. These indivials, groups and organizations are felicitated for their efforts by honoring them with the Prime Minister’s Yoga Award. The procedure to apply, eligibility criteria and evaluation criteria for the award can be found here. PM Yoga Awards.
International Yoga Day Logo, Slogan, Images, Pictures
The official logo of International Yoga Day can be downloaded from the Yoga section of the official website of Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy). The official slogan of the Internation yoga day is “Yoga for Harmony and Peace“. The logo and slogan can be used on banners and poster to promote the day in your school, instittute and offices. The images, pictures, videos, news of the previous years’ events can be seen on the website too.
Quotes about Yoga and International Yoga Day 2018
Here are some interesting quotes, slogans and messages for international yoga day. You can use these slogans and quotes to send wishes of the day to your friends, and family members.
- “When you listen to yourself, everything comes naturally. It comes from inside, like a kind of will to do something. Try to be sensitive. That is yoga.” –Petri Räisänen
- “Yoga is the journey of the self, through the self, to the self.” –The Bhagavad Gita
Yoga exists in the world because everything is linked.–Desikashar
- “Yoga is not a religion. It is a science, science of well-being, science of youthfulness, science of integrating body, mind and soul.” ― Amit Ray
- “Meditation is a way for nourishing and blossoming the divinity within you.” ― Amit Ray
Through the practices of yoga, we discover that concern for the happiness and well being of others, including animals, must be an essential part of our own quest for happiness and well being. The fork can be a powerful weapon of mass destruction or a tool to create peace on Earth.
You cannot do yoga. Yoga is your natural state. What you can do are yoga exercises, which may reveal to you where you are resisting your natural state.
- True yoga is not about the shape of your body, but the shape of your life. Yoga is not to be performed; yoga is to be lived. Yoga doesn’t care about what you have been; yoga cares about the person you are becoming. Yoga is designed for a vast and profound purpose, and for it to be truly called yoga, its essence must be embodied. – Aadil Palkhivala
So these was the list of some best quotes, slogans about the yoga and international yoga day.
Interesting Facts about International Yoga Day
Here is a list of some amazing facts, trivia about the International Yoga Day.
- The first International Day of Yoga was observed all over the world on 21 June 2015 and The Ministry of AYUSH made the necessary arrangements in India
- Modi said that the date was the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere when proposing 21 June as the date.
- 35,985 people including a large number of dignitaries from 84 nations, performed 21 yoga asanas (postures) for 35 minutes at Rajpath in New Delhi in IDY 2015.
- The NCC cadets entered the Limca Book of Records for the “largest yoga performance simultaneously by a single uniformed youth organisation” by performing at multiple venues.
- The Indian prime minister Narendra Modi participated to the event and practiced yoga along with 51,000 participants in Lucknow in 2016.
- Japan created a Parliamentary League for the promotion of yoga just prior to the event, in April 2017.
So, this was the list of some amazig facts about the yoga day.
I hope you find the information in this article helpful. If yes then please rate the article with 5 stars and leave a comment in the comment section below. Thank you. 🙂