Human beings have some basic needs which include shelter, clothes, and food. But today, money is another thing that is becoming a basic need of humans because with the help of money a man can fulfil all other basic needs. To earn money, one has to take efforts which may be by doing business, by doing a job. Not everyone is educationally qualified enough to get a job in MNCs. Such people work as workers or labourers. Sometimes people who have good education also need to do such works because of poverty and unemployment. For the celebration of labours and their hard work, there is a day called World Workers Day or May Day or International Labor Day which is celebrated on 1st May every Year. This article will provide you information about International Workers Day 2017 which you can use for writing an essay, speech in competitions held at your school or college.
World Labour Day 2018 Essay, Speech, Paragraph & Article
Introduction to World Labors Day 2018
International Workers Day is celebrated on 1st May every year across the globe. People who are not having enough education or good financial situations lean towards works which have more hard work and less smart work. Their concern is to earn money for survival in this world in any possible way. They do not think about hard work or smart work they accept the task they get enrolled as an opportunity and do it. Nobody would love to do such kind of labour-ship but if a person has the only option left then there are no other ways to escape from such tasks. Today also, many times we see labours are discriminated on basis of their work which should be stopped.
History of International Labour Day, Workers’ Day 2018
International labour day is celebrated across the World with great enthusiasm. The day is celebrated to commemorate the day 4 May 1886 when the Haymarket affair (Haymarket Massacre) in the Chicago happened. On this day the local workers were on a strike about their eight-hour workday and police was trying to disperse the general public from the crowd. Suddenly a bomb was thrown at the crowd of workers by an unidentified person, resulting in panic and firing from the police on the workers. 4 workers were killed in the firing.
Later it was decided that the day should be celebrated on annual basis as May Day. The decision was made in the meeting in Paris in 1889 through a proposal made by Raymond Lavigne stating that it necessary to demonstrate an international celebration of the Chicago protests. So, in the year 1891, May Day was officially recognized to be celebrated as an international annual event.
Importance of Celebrating The International Labour Day, World Workers Day 2018
Labours do a lot of hard work but they cannot use their own good ideas to do the work. They are not given value by their seniors and society most of the time. They are stamped with a tag of labour for a lifetime. It reduces their ability of thinking and trying to some big things. Labours feel that they do not have a higher education so they cannot do any big things, business or job which will lead their life to a different way. But if you ask me, I think this thinking is wrong. It is never late for getting educated or to learn anything. A person can keep learning till the last breath. Any person who is a labour because of any reason behind it can change his/her life from a labour to a successful person.
For encouraging and celebrating these labours people celebrate the date 1st May as the International Workers Day or World Labor Day every year. This is a day on which labours are celebrated but does it actually make these labours happy? Only celebrating a single day in a whole year and then again treating them in a wrong way for rest of the year is not a good way of celebrating them. People should first understand the meaning of this day and then celebrate it with joy for a day and treat labours equally for every moment in life. Yes, I agree not every person can be a great business person or an employee with huge salaries. There is a need of labours. But there should be a concern among people that these labours are not slaves. They also have self-respect which should not be hurt by others.
The Theme for International Labour Day, Workers’ Day, May Day 2018 Theme
Every year a theme is associated with the celebration of international labours workers day. The theme of International Labour Day 2016 was “Celebrating the international labour movement”. The theme of International Labour Day 2017 was – Preserve Our National Heritage. The theme of International Labour Day 2018 is ot announced yet.
International Labour Day, Workers’ Day, May Day 2018 Celebration Ideas, Activities
On 1st May 2017, we can celebrate the World Workers Day in many ways. People can encourage labours by organizing some events for them where the labours will do the activities by themselves for joy, entertainment, knowledge etc. Labours have a holiday on this day from their work so that they can rest but they can also use this day as the time for their own. They can share their ideas, opinions, and suggestions. Labours should be given a chance to speak what they want? What are their needs? What issues are they facing? People should not discriminate them but treat them with equality in the society.
International Labour Day 2018 Quotes, Slogans, Lines
Here is a list of some best international labour day, worker day 2018 quotes, slogans and lines.
- Labor Disgraces No Man; unfortunately, you occasionally find men who disgrace labour.
- A skilled worker regardless of the job description remains a treasure – unknown
- A Man is not paid for having a head and hands, but for using them –ELBERT HUBBARD
- It is labour indeed that puts the difference on everything – John Locke
- “No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level–I mean the wages of decent living.” Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “Poorly paid labor is inefficient labour, the world over.” Henry George
- All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence – Martin Luther King Jr.
- Work isn’t to make money, you work to justify the life – unknown
- “Labor is the only prayer that Nature answers.” Robert Green Ingersoll
- “International solidarity is not an act of charity: It is an act of unity between allies fighting on different terrains toward the same objective. The foremost of these objectives is to aid the development of humanity to the highest level possible.” Samora Machel
- “Labor Day differs in every essential from other holidays of the year in any country. All other holidays are in a more or less degree connected with conflict and battles of man’s prowess over man, of strife and discord for greed and power, of glories achieved by one nation over another. Labor Day is devoted to no man, living or dead, to no sect, race or nation.” Samual Gempers
- “What does labor want? We want more schoolhouses and less jails; more books and less arsenals; more learning and less vice; more leisure and less greed; more justice and less revenge; in fact, more of the opportunities to cultivate our better natures.” Samuel Gompers
Interesting Facts about Labour Day, Workers’ Day, May Day
Here is a list of some interesting facts about the international Labour Day, Workers’ Day, May Day. Let’s see them.
- On May 1st, 1886, workers took to the streets across the USA to reduce the workday to eight-hour shifts.
- OREGON was the first US State which celebrated Labor Day as a legal holiday in 1887.
- The holiday was first celebrated in the 1880s.
- Labour Day has historically been a day for parades, rallies and other celebrations of workers.
- International Labor Organization deal with Labor issues on an International level.
- By 2030 the Total Work Force of the world is predicted to increase to slightly more than 4 Billion.
- In USA and Canada, the Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday of September.
The World Workers Day is to celebrate the labours and labours, to encourage them and support them. The discrimination of labours should be abolished. This day creates awareness among people across the world. It should promote the hard work and respect it.
Tips for Speech on World Workers Day 2018
- Don’t mug up the script, write down the key points of your topic and speak about them.
- Interact with the audience with some questions too, otherwise, the audience may find you like a speaking robot.
- Read about the topic first as much as you can and then speak whatever that comes to your mind.
- If you are a parent, don’t force your child or sibling to mug up the script instead help them to understand the topic and motivate them to speak confidently.
- If you are nervous about delivering the speech then first try it in front of your parents, sibling or friends and take feedback.
Tips for Essay on World Workers Day 2018
- Read about your topic as much as you can.
- Write your essay in three logical parts i.e introduction, main concept, and conclusion.
- You can write the essay in story format also.
Tips for Paragraph on World Workers Day
- An essay and the paragraph are similar only the length limit varies.
- Try focusing on key points while writing the paragraph.
- Explain your topic in short and give some related points in brief.
If you like this article and find it helpful, please let us know by sharing your opinion or suggestion in the comment section below. We love receiving your response. 🙂