Life comes only once. To make it worth you need to Live every moment, Laugh every day and Love unconditionally. The sun, the moon, flowers, birds, animals everybody laughs and make us laugh too in their own way and create happiness around us. Laughing and hugging are the two small but valuable things that have the ability to control human emotions. A hug is a sign of love and a laugh is a sign of happiness and a combination of both make the life worth living.
The first week of may is the day celebrated as World laughter day. In our article, we are going to speak about the world laughter day 2019 and the information about the day such as the date, history, theme for 2019, importance, benefits, celebration ideas, assembly activities, quotes, fun facts etc. This article will help you to give a speech, write an essay in your school and college competition. So let’s start
World Laughter Day 2019 Theme, Information, Celebration Ideas, Activities
Charlie Chaplin, the famous comic artist said “Laughter is the tonic, the relief, the surcease for pain” and “A day without laughter is a day wasted”. At least one day in our life is not wasted thus by the world celebrating the World Laughter Day on the first Sunday of May every year and this year in 2019, on the 5th of May.
The very first Laughter Day was celebrated in the year 1998 on 10th May, in Mumbai and the man behind this revolutionary idea was Dr. Madan Kataria, founder of the world Laughter Yoga Movement in 1995. While forming the Laughter Yoga movement, Dr.Kataria worked on the facial feedback hypothesis, according to which, one’s facial expressions have a deep impact and effect on one’s emotions and feelings. He carried forward the same ideology while initiating the Laughter Day.
Since then, Laughter Day has made its way into the heart of the rest of the world. The very first Laughter Day celebrated outside India, was in 2000 and was called the ‘HAPPY-DEMIC’, where more than ten thousand people gathered outside Town Hall Square in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The Purpose of World Laughter Day
Celebrating the World Laughter Day is as easy as smiling, with hundreds of people gathering in a public place and laughing their hearts out for the sheer joy of it. It is said that the shortest distance between two points is a smile but in this case, the curve of a smile has now joined more than 105 countries in this celebration of laughter through more than six thousand Laughter Clubs. What began as a Laughter Club, has now brought the world together for a non-racial and non-profit cause with only happiness behind it.
Dr. Madan Kataria once said, “When you laugh, you change and when you change the whole world changes around you”.Laughter is something that is not bound by languages like it is said in Spanish, ‘ la risa no peude sanar ni resolver nada, pero peude ayudara sanar y dissolver todo’ which means laughter cannot heal nor solve anything, but it can help to heal and dissolve everything. The main purpose of celebrating this day is to promote international laughter and to create awareness about its healing benefits through the Laughter Clubs.
World Laughter Day in India and Around the World
Members of the Laughter Clubs across the world, gather at a public place, like a park, town hall, city hall, and auditoriums along with friends and family members. They generally pray for world peace which this day aims at by people making laughter, an intrinsic part of their life. Messages by Dr. Madan Kataria are read and later people just have a good old whole hearted laugh.
In India, the members also carry on a peace march with placards on laughter. Some even indulge in sounds of “HO, HO, HA, HA”, to spread the contagious effect of laughter. In between the march, the members stop for some time and perform some Laughter Yoga exercise. The march is resumed again, at the end of which, the leader of the Laughter Club initiates a ten minute or longer laughter session ending with reading out loud, messages from Dr. Kataria. Entertainment programmes like dance and laughter challenges mark the close of the day.
How to celebrate World Laughter Day? | Celebration Ideas, Activities, and Events
There are several ways in which the joys, wonder, and excitement of this day can be experienced by you:
- Just join any Laughter club in your locality and go and have a hearty laugh with the club members on this day.
- Do as the founder Dr. Kataria once did on the laughter day; he just roamed around the streets of Bangalore, making people laugh on the way and also asking them if they would laugh with him, which they did.
- There are several laughter clubs online where you can join the members via Skype and laugh together.
- Several laughter clubs on this day get together and perform the Laughter Yoga which laid the foundation for this day. One doesn’t need flexible limbs or funny bones in your body to be a part of this yoga, which is aimed more towards inner peace.
- Organize laughter clubs and arrange for some stand-up comedians to be a part of it. Laughter comes easily but when accompanied by some good jokes it becomes even merrier.
- Innovative contests like a best-laughing male /female /child, the loudest laugh, horrible singing contest, best stand up comedy, best joke of the day etc can be organized by the laughter clubs.
- Schools and colleges must organize programmes on this day to relieve the stress faced by the young generation today in terms of academics, lifestyle, career etc.
Advantages, Benefits of the World Laughter Day
- Laughter in itself, either intentional or natural, leads to the wellness of the mind and in essence, healing of the inner self.
- Laughing with others as part of the Laughter Club improves one’s connectivity with others as it becomes a social activity.
- Laughing reduces stress, anxiety, and depression to a great extent as one feels rejuvenated after a good laughing session, with the stress hormone cortisol levels going down.
- Creates a positive outlook towards life as laughing makes you view life’s problems on a lighter note.
- The biggest benefit of all is just the fact you have pure and simple fun.
- Laugh your way to being slim as laughing just 15 minutes a day burns 10-40 calories, depending on your weight.
- Just like love hormones are released in the body when one is attracted to somebody, similarly feeling happy releases the ‘Happy Hormones’ in our body. These hormones or endorphins are a mix of various emotions like love, forgiveness, compassion, and bonding.
- Laughter boosts up the production of anti-body producing cells in our body, making the T-cells more powerful and creating a stronger immune system.
- Laughing exercises are good for facial muscles. It is very rightly said that if you laugh a lot when you get older your wrinkles will be in the right places.
Interesting Fun facts about World Laughter Day
- The very first Internationally celebrated Laughter Day in 2000 at Copenhagen, Germany, was recorded in The Guinness Book Of World Records as the world’s largest gathering of people collected at a place only to laugh and to bond together.
- Rats laugh when tickled and even while playing with each other. A fact, observed in 1990 by a Psychologist named Jack Panksepp.
- Laughter is contagious. ‘Laugh and the world laughs with you…’
- Oxford Dictionary named the emoji ‘Face with Tears of Joy’ as its Word of the Year in 2015.
Laughter and Literature
- Barnes and Nobles published a list in 2017 which included 50 of the best comic books ever written and it had names like Cold Comfort Farms(1932) by Stella Gibbons, Do The Windows Open by Julie Hecht, I Was Told There’d Be Cake by Sloane Crosley, The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams and many such books.
- Some of the best comedy authors of all times are P.G. Wodehouse, Douglas Adams, Woody Allen, Tina Fey, Mark Twain, Helen Fielding.
- The Indian Literary world also boasts of several noted authors in the comic genre like Khushwant Singh, Twinkle Khanna, Ruskin Bond, R.K.Laxman.
The world of comics and the funny “pow” sounding punches
Kids enjoy laughing the most and they laugh without any inhibitions. So we cannot talk about laughter without mentioning the mesmerizing world of comics.
- The first comic book The Famous Funnies was published in the U.S in 1933.
- The first comic book to be published ever was The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck, published in several languages in Europe in 1837.
- Since then, there have been several comics like the DC comics with Batman and Superman, which made the kids laugh and become spellbound.
- Even the Indian cartoonists have tickled our insides with comics like Chacha Chaudhary, Billoo, Pinki, Super Commando Dhruva, Nagraj, Champak, Lotpot, Chandamama, Tinkle and several others.
Laughter and the entertainment world
- Noor Mohammed Memon was the first comic star of the Indian Cinema. His style had shades of the famous Hollywood actor Charlie Chaplin, who even inspired another Bollywood Actor, Late Shri Raj Kapoor.
- The first Indian comedy flick was Chalti ka Naam gaadi made in 1958 followed by some epic Hindi movies like Padosan(1968), Golmaal(1979), Angoor(1982) based on the Shakespearean play ‘The comedy of errors’, Jaane bhi do yaaro (1983), Pushpak (1987) which was a one of its kind silent comedy, Andaz Apna Apna(1994), Hera Pheri (2000) and many more like these that continue to entertain us.
- India’s first ever 3D comedy film was ‘ My dear kuttichathan’, a movie of Malayalam.
- Mack Sennett’s silent comedy film A noise from the deep (1913) can be called Hollywood’s first comedy movie.
- The pioneers of comedy in Hollywood were called ‘The silent era clowns’ and included famous icons like Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, Laurel, and Hardy.
- Laughter attained new heights with the invention of cartoons, with the first ever cartoon being made in 1908, called the
- Charlie Chaplin, a name synonymous with comedy in Hollywood, got his first Oscar only in 1972, and that too as an honorary Oscar.
- Pioneers in the field of cartoons, Walt Disney’s Steamboat Willie (1928), was its first cartoon with synchronized sound.
- Cartoons like Tom and Jerry, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, The Flintstones, The Loony Tunes, Scooby Doo, SpongeBob Square Pants are some series which make us peel with laughter even as adults.
Quotes, Slogans, Lines about the World Laughter Day
- ‘Your body cannot heal without play. Your mind cannot heal without laughter. Your soul cannot heal without joy.’- Catherine Rippenger Fenwick
- ‘When you laugh, apart from the endorphin rush there’s also a spiritual opening. You’re not so tight inside yourself. That opening I’ve found to be a real gift, with people being able to absorb spirituality’- Rabbi Sydney Mintz
- ‘ A smile starts on the lips, a grin spreads to the eyes, a chuckle comes from the belly; but a good laugh burst forth from the soul, overflows, and bubbles all around’ –Carolyn Birmingham
- ‘ The old man laughed loud and joyously, shook up the details of his anatomy from head to foot and ended by saying that such a laugh was money in a man’s pocket because it cut down the doctor’s bill like everything.’- “Tom Sawyer”- By Mark Twain
- ‘The Human Race has one really effective weapon and that is laughter’ – Mark Twain
They say laughter is the best medicine and to add to it we can say that it is also the best gift that we can give to ourselves and to the people around us. Had it not been a gift, why would even Santa Claus enter our house on Christmas Eve with the loud “Ho ho ho…”! A short poem by Walterrean Salley sums up the importance of laughter in our lives in just a few words-
“Laughter is infectious: it is a joyful sound
That, once it starts ringing, passes all around.
Laughter is infectious: some folks have no clue
As to what another’s laughter could do unto you.
Laughter is infectious: you can get it on a whim,
But chances of it harming are very-very slim”
Best Essay on World Laughter Day 2019
The world laughter day is celebrated on the first Sunday of May. The day first came into existence in India by Dr. Madan Kataria in 1998. It was first celebrated on 11th Jan 1998 in Mumbai. On the 11th day of January, thousands of people from India and some invited from other countries gathered together at Mahalaxmi, Mumbai to tell the world that we need to take the laugh seriously as it is beneficial to our health.
From the year 2001, the day was celebrated all over the world. It is said that laughter is the more strongest and powerful of all the emotions of human being that has all healing properties. It can make you feel better, reduce the stress, helps to stop depression help the body to heal and many more. World laughter day is a positive approach to world peace and its purpose is to build up an awareness of brotherhood and friendship through the world.
Laughter is a cheap medicine for your health. All you have to do is laugh out loud and live longer. It helps to reduce your stress hormones and make your immune system stronger. Laughter is a perfect remedy for your heart if you are anxious about something then just laugh out loud it will balance your blood flow and it will help to get you out of that anxious feeling. When you laugh, our cheeks muscles will stretch, pulse rate increases and it reduces breathing problems. Many of us are very conscious of our body.
We want to eat a lot but at the same time, don’t want to gain weight. In this case, laughter will help you to burn the calories and boost up your energy. laughter is also helpful for diabetes patients as it helps in balancing sugar level in the body. As like physical benefits laughter is beneficial to maintain a good bond or relationship with your people.
It dissolves the differences between two people and helps us to bond better and stay connected even after the differences. Just laugh every day and increase and increase your ability to fight against diseases. It’s not necessary that you need to have a good sense of humor to laugh to make others laugh it doesn’t mean you need to crack jokes, you need to make fun of others.
It’s not necessary that you need to have a good sense of humor to laugh to make others laugh it doesn’t mean you need to crack jokes, you need to make fun of others. You can laugh at yourself for no reason because nobody is born perfect so catch that imperfection make fun of it and laugh at yourself but don’t forget to convert that imperfection into perfection.
Always laugh when you can because it costs nothing. If laughter cannot solve your problem it will definitely dissolve your problem. But we must know when to laugh at others because it’s easy to laugh at others but very hard to laugh at yourself.
Tips for the Speech on World Laughter Day 2019
- Speech is not about mug up the script and speak, it is about sharing gown thoughts about the given topic.
- Try being interactive while delivering the speech.
- Be expressive with the emotions and gestures.
- Try giving the speech in front of your family or friends for building up the confidence.
Tips for the Essay on World Laughter Day 2019
- You can write an essay in the story format also.
- Write your essay in three logical sections: introduction, detailed concept, and conclusion.
- Use simple language while writing the essay.
If you like this article and find it helpful, please RATE IT WITH 5 STARS and let us know by sharing your opinion or suggestions in the comment section below. We love receiving your response. 🙂