GST is rolled out, and every business in India is getting ready to adjust tax and accounts systems as per new rules. But before that, companies need to register themselves for GST to get GSTIN (Goods and Services Tax Identification Number). The government opened the Online GST Registration process for same. Kindly note that you can only apply for GST online, there is not offline process available. Anyone can apply for GST online, the process in simple but let us tell you that one may not know all the fields one need to fill in the online application form. In that case, it is better to help from Tax Practioner, CA’s or online GST registration service providers like Vakilsearch, Legalrasta, etc.
Find out all you need to know about GST here
Here in this article, we will show you sample Online GST Registration Process for Normal Taxpayer. Please note that this guide is for reference only. We are not a government entity; we don’t provide these services. At the end of this GST guide, you will find the official GST website and other reference websites. So, let’s start.
Documents Required for GST Registration
You need three sets of documents for registration. First is a company related document (different documents as per type of company, explained below), directors/partner documents and registered office documents. Let’s check the list
Company Documents for Private / Public / One Person Company / LLP / Sole Proprietorship – (Applicable as per type of company)
- Company PAN Card
- Registration / Incorporation Certificate
- Memorandum of Association (MOA) /Articles of Association (AOA)
- Copy of Bank Statement
- Declaration to comply with the provisions
- Copy of Board resolution
- Partnership Deed (for partnership company)
- Declaration to comply with the provisions (for LLP and Individuals)
Director / Partner / Individual Documents
- PAN and ID Proof
Registered Office Documents
- Copy of electricity/water/landline bill,
- No objection certificate of the owner
- Rent agreement (in rented)
Procedure for GST Registration for Normal Taxpayer
- Go to https://www.gst.gov.in/, Click on “Register Now” in Taxpayers (Normal) Section.
(from same window GST Practitioners can also register for GST, or you find them from this window too)
- Now, “New Registration” window will open. Fill in the Company Details, Company PAN, email ID, Mobile Number and then enter image captcha. Verify all details and click “PROCEED” button.
- Now a new window will show a TRN number. Copy this number somewhere as this is an important number in Online GST Registration Process. You will receive this TRN number on given E-mail ID too but still save it somewhere. Click “PROCEED” button
- You will get an OTP on given email and mobile number which will be valid for 10 minutes only.
Please note that you are still under Online GST registration process, your account is not yet created. To complete GST registration you need to log in with your TRN, here is how
- Go to Official GST Online Registration Portal with this link https://reg.gst.gov.in/registration/
Enter the TRN and Captcha and Click “PROCEED.” Enter OTP and Click “Proceed” button.
Sometimes OTP mail can go to Junk or Spam email folder. Check those folders too. You will be on GST Registration Dashboard. It looks as follows.
Her you will see your saved GST Registration application, its status is “Draft” means it is not yet submitted.
Here you can see application “Creation Date.” Kindly note that you need to fill in and submit GST registration application within 15 days from “Creation Date.”
- Edit the application draft, click on “Pencil” Icon, under action column.
Here you will have ten sections; they are as follows
- Business Details
- Promoter/ Partner details
- Authorized Signatory
- Authorized Representative
- Principal Place of Business
- Additional Place of Business
- Good and Service
- Bank Account
- State Specific Information, and finally
Here is the sample of the first screen.
- On the last screen, it will ask to sign the application digitally or manually. To digitally sign the form, you need to have DSC registered. Insert DSC dongle to laptop or PC.
- DSC sign in will pop up. Sign in and verify the details.
- After successful submission, you will get acknowledgment mail in 10-15 minutes on your email and mobile number. You will get ARN (Application Reference Number), this will be used to track your GST application Process.
Check, Track GST Application Status with ARN Number
After successful online registration, you will get Application Reference number (ARN), with this ARN you can track the status of your application. Here is the procedure for same
- Enter your ARN number and click “SEARCH” button.
Here are the possible ARN status you can see
- Provisional: Means provisional ID is allotted, but the application for enrolment of existing taxpayer is yet to be filed after attaching (DSC) digital signatures.
- Pending for Verification: means registration application is successfully submitted but not yet verified.
- Validation against Error: When your PAN details don’t match with DBDT date you get this status, in this case, you need to fill correct PAN details again and resubmit the form.
- Migrated: means your GST application has been successfully migrated to GST.
- Cancelled: when your application is cancelled.
Complete GST Registration Tutorial
Disclaimer: All Screenshots are governments property, we have used them for your reference only. Always visit for government portal for more accurate information on the topic.