The definition of success can vary person to person, but the formula for success remains the for almost any field. There are some key factors necessary for success and those are: Discipline, Hardwork and persistence. In this article we are going to talk about the discipline. How discipline can play an important role in the journey of your success, why and how important the discipline is in a student’s life, in army and in our daily.
This information in this article will help you to write an essay on discipline, a speech on discpline and also in paragraph writing. So let’s start.
Essay on Discipline
Discipline is the method in which one trains themselves with the values of moderation and tries to prevent being carried away by momentary passions. Discipline is a core value which is applicable to both early and later stages of life. It is only through discipline that famous personalities could make the best out of their work and hence achieve great heights in life. For example, Gandhiji led a life of austerity which he practiced as self-discipline in order to stay focused and never lose sight of his objectives in life.
Importance of Discipline in the Classroom and School
Discipline is best found in the initial years of a person’s life as a student. Because of it, discipline is the most significant factor a school and especially the classroom needs to enforce upon students. The respect for discipline needs to come early in life and for that reason having a disciplined school and classroom life is much essential for a well round development of a student.
Discipline in the classroom and the school, in general, may consist of some or all of the following strategies:
- Fixing rules for arrival and leaving the school
- Making attendance compulsory till a particular percentage of total number of days of school
- Ensuring a strict pass/ fail policy in examinations and vocational training
- Punishment for students with violent behavior towards others
- Ensuring a minimum code of conduct to be followed by every student within the classroom
- Seeking attention of children during lectures and teaching within the classroom
- Preventing students from self-destructive or any behavior that is harmful
Often, teachers are confronted with the dilemma of not being able to find the right balance of discipline, strictness and overdoing disciplinary part. This is due to the fact that within the classroom there might be some students who are more difficult to be disciplined. For example, there are students who will repeatedly break the classroom attention by just disturbing other students near them.
Such a student or students may not pay heed to the repeated verbal warnings by the teacher and therefore the teacher might not be sure which method to apply in order to stop the child from such indisciplined behavior. In such a case it is important that teachers must be well trained and make efficient use of time to discipline the child by other means. Such other means does not have to be physical violence as it has been observed that physically punishing children becomes useless a tactic and also creates traumatizing effects on the child.
Discipline within the classroom and school, therefore, needs to be more positive in approach with adequate emphasis upon identifying the behavioural aspect of children, being more engaging in the class and not making discipline a monotonous and imposing affair always. A fine line needs to be drawn between discipline and harshness. It is important that while the school needs to impose a strict standard for the students to adhere upon, the same school also undertake disciplinary activities in a manner that keeps the students informed, engrossed and helps them nurture their inner talents.
Discipline in the manner of corporal punishment was a usual practice in most countries, which, on account of modern studies on psychology has been discontinued in most countries. Corporal punishment has now been widely replaced by detention, suspension for a brief period for highly disobedient students and counseling for students with psychological variations. Therefore, the idea of discipline within the classroom has been much responsive to the changing social practices and norms.
Importance of Discipline in a Student’s Life
The life of a student is most essentially comprising of the values which prepares them for the life ahead. A disciplined life is extremely important to be cultivated as a student to realize the worth of time, work, and benefits of self-restraint. The culture of going to bed on time, waking up on a specific time, preparing for school, fixed hours for recreation and leisure, balancing sports with studies, this entire routine is not for nothing. These habits which we develop as a student helps us to learn how to multi-task later in life.
Disciplined student life comprises of learning how to behave with different age groups, respecting individuals irrespective of their class, gender or other differences, learning to make the most of available time and learning to love education. The various methods of discipline are given both by parents as well as teachers in the school. While parents and family become the first teacher, the school and teachers there are the ones who impart the technical aspects of discipline and prepare students for all kinds of challenges later in life.
As a student, while one is unable to gather material benefits like salary, material recognition on a monthly basis, yet if as a student one learns the value of discipline, then it is of immense investment to succeed later in life. Discipline does not always have to be strict and imposed as a student to take and work on it. The student will only need to develop a sound idea of judgment through learning discipline.
For example, as a student, if one is attracted to TV and mobile games and the parent punishes the child every time they go for it or put a total blanket ban on it then a child may never understand WHY mobile gaming and TV is not healthy for them. Instead, if the discipline involves making a child write an essay on the harmful effects of excessive mobile gaming and Television addiction, then they will by themselves be able to understand and learn the importance to involve in it in moderation. There can also be the solution to install creative learning games and encouraging the child to play them instead of violent or nonconstructive ones.
Learning how to restrain the mind well is a key that a student must learn early in life. Student life will obviously have a lot of distractions in the form of excessive engagement with friends, lure to spend time in a nonproductive manner, learning adult terms and engaging in ill-informed sexual practices. However, what is most essential is the principle of self-restraint. Only a disciplined approach to life would help a student know better where to draw the line. One must always be understanding of parents’ capability to give and demand things accordingly. Respecting self-restraint goes a long way in life as then as an adult one is able to be more focused, goal oriented and can have the mind to prioritize interests based on their usefulness.
Discipline and Punctuality
A group of disciplined people will always have one quality in common and that is their respect for time. Punctuality in intricately linked with discipline. A person who respects punctuality usually leads a disciplined life with absolute regard for other people’s time and schedule. Today, in this extremely fast-paced world, when one is confronted with making the most of available time to us, a strict discipline with regard to time is of paramount importance.
Every organization nowadays acknowledges the responsibility to schedule a healthy work-life balance. Setting a goal is not sufficient to achieve maximum results but attaching a deadline or time limit is. People who spend a lot of time in office is not necessarily the most productive ones. In fact, with improvements in organizational structure and newer human resource research, it has been observed that often long hours are related to other nonproductive pursuits.
Imagine a person who comes to office on an average 1 to 1.5 hours late and returns back home after spending 12 hours in the office and does most of the work with long breaks in between to check up Facebook and other social media. Now imagine another person who comes to office on time, work straight 5 to 6 hours with small snack breaks in between and leaves on time or earlier. It is most likely that while the first person would have accomplished to finish less than half of the day’s work in such irregular manner, the second person would have finished more than half and with better quality. This happens because of the fact that the second person is more likely to be focused on their work as there is less distraction for them. Thus punctuality is a form of discipline that not only helps to create a justified work-leisure environment but is also said to be more productive for any organization.
As students and children, it is therefore of huge responsibility to learn to value own time by not getting into activities that are wasteful in nature. If someone commits to arrive at 3 PM they must take every measure to do so and not be late beyond 5 to 6 minutes. As later on in life, if someone gets involved in professions like medicine, doctor or lawyer and engineer, being punctual is the most serious code of conduct. These are professions where time is directly linked to the well being and life death questions of other people.
Importance of Discipline in the Army
Few professions require the value of discipline as much as the army does. There is a specific term coined in order to recognize the huge impact discipline has on the army and that is, ‘military discipline’. Military discipline is the condition of order and the military personnel’s way to obey them within the rank and file of armed services.
Discipline is the founding stone of army and in the course of training army personnel, a substantial effort goes into making them disciplined to the core. Given the fact that armed forces for the most part of the year need to survive high-stress zones, both physical and mental and stay in combat areas, discipline is basic to their individual as well as team survival. The various ways in which discipline is inducted in the army includes:
- Sticking to a fixed routine: Everyday is divided into definite time for work, family and physical fitness so that one cares for time for the maximum
- Immense self-control: This is needed as in army life there would be prolonged reason and time for stress and not allowing oneself to be carried away is very essential for survival as a group
- Small gestures of perfect discipline: These would include not speaking before permission, respecting a mandate for the greater good as well as being of good disposition to other people’s needs
- Just reaction to every action: An army personnel needs to be honest and therefore praising for a good performance and rebuking for a bad performance must always be encouraged.
Indian Army is regarded as one of the most disciplined armed forces in the world. The training period is unavoidable and comprises of equestrian training, swimming, martial arts and drills of various kinds. A type of punishment in the Indian Army is the Maharaja where one has to lift the body vertically on the head. Across the world, Indian Army is one of the most humanitarian and disciplined armies. This is the reason why they are a popular choice for Peacekeeping missions in high conflict-torn zones. Other highly disciplined armed forces include US Navy SEALs, Chinese People’s Liberation Army, Storm Corps of North Korea, Britain’s MI6.
In each of the above cases of Armed Forces, the aspect of discipline is common. The training and sometimes brutal schedules they go through prepare the army people for every adversity on the field. They need to even compromise on food and sleep often for discharging their duties and hence stay on the maximum discipline that is conceivable.
Importance of Discipline in Life
The significance of discipline in life cannot be overemphasized. It is that quality of life which remains with us for a lifetime. One can broadly understand the impact by analyzing the following points that describe in a nutshell how discipline affects us every day.
Discipline makes us alert and aware.
By adhering to a disciplined life one is able to carry out day to day activities in an organized manner. Such organized approach helps one to remain alert and mindful which ultimately results in effective carrying out of crucial responsibilities. Unmindful approach to complex problems or situations often lands us in trouble while an alert mind reminds one of the various issues on hand. A disciplined child will always be more aware in class than an undisciplined one.
Discipline enhances the quality of self-awareness.
While it is important to be mindful of others’ interests it is also equally essential to be informed of our own mind. Looking inside us in order to find the answer to what we truly need, want is a question which is best answered by a disciplined mind. In most cases, a person with a disciplined mind is better able to understand their own priorities and hence identify their areas of weakness and strength. A disciplined person will then be able to make the most of the areas they are strong in and not need to waste their time over unproductive areas.
Discipline enhances the quality of life.
A household which runs on a disciplined approach with regards to time management, health management and management of finance is less likely to face problems on a daily basis. Even if the people are busy yet a disciplined household will always be able to take out adequate and quality time for family and recreation. Such a house will have members who will find time to cultivate hobbies or alternate profession and ultimately this helps in creating a balanced life.
Discipline encourages people to be more socially aware.
A person who leads a disciplined life would understand the power of discipline the best. Hence every activity they take up will reflect their value of discipline which in the long run helps to create a culture of discipline on the whole. Also, discipline creates the urge to serve people more by being more responsive to other people’s needs and therefore urge people to work for society as a part of leading a disciplined life.
Discipline is the key to Success
The idea of applying discipline in life goes beyond the regular daily existence. One needs to understand that the worth of discipline is the key to a successful life. It cultivates the ability to form a well-defined judgment of the various complex aspects of life and take a decision that suits best. Nothing can be achieved without continuously pursuing a goal with zeal and focus. Discipline is the factor that enables us to take care of that aspect of life.
Swami Vivekananda spoke of discipline with the highest regard. For him, leading a disciplined life was the key to self-restraint and control over circumstances which in return would reward a person with both success and spiritual enlightenment. He emphasized the significance of discipline which is practiced every day and across every generation which would help India as a country to progress.
Some ways in which discipline can be cultivated in order to find and build success are:
- Making some actions a routine in life: The habit of frivolity in shopping, extravaganza should be kept as a reward option only after we have achieved some great steps. Frivolous and unmindful rushing should be avoided unless it happens occasionally.
- Applying self-control: While disciplined life does not mean a restrictive life yet one should restrict the mind as far as possible. One needs to spend, consume on the limits and avoid excess at all cost.
- Developing a routine for work days: A first step towards leading a disciplined life is to develop a routine and stick to it. Not just for work but also for accomplishing other interests and passions.
- Taking down notes of important things to do: Making a to-do list for all responsibilities on a regular basis is a great way to ensure that all tasks are done in a systematic and timely manner. This prevents from missing deadlines anywhere and makes success a habit.
- Not allowing negativities to get inside and concentrate on success stories: While it is easy to be bogged down by failures yet in order to make success, one needs the discipline to not allow failures get in the way of going for success.
For success to come with discipline it is important that one keeps on reminding themselves that with discipline success would come and thus stay focussed on discipline and not just the factor of success.
One needs to appreciate that discipline is cultivated and is not something that can be found or achieved in a day. Taking small steps towards a disciplined life would go a long way to ensure that the approach would bear results for the good. In order to lead a more peaceful and content life, discipline cannot be shunned.
Tips for Essay on Discipline
Sometimes writing an essay can be a tedious work. You become so confused that you can’t find words to describe what you are thinking. Don’t worry, here are some amazingly useful tips for writing your essay on discipline. So let’s see them.
- Before starting to write your essay on discipline. Think for a while. Try to think from various point of views and what the teacher or examiner must be expecting you to write.
- Roughly write down the things yoou are going to write in yoour essay on discipline, such as key points, sub points etc or keep them in your mind.
- There are different types of Essay Writing, so determine what types of essay you are going to write.
- Keep your essay neat and clean.
- Essays are made of various components and those are: Introduction statement or argument of the topic, several paragraphs of information body and ending it with the conclusion. So write your essay on discipline in this manner.
- Keep the conclusion of your essay on discipline short yet meaningful.
Tips for Speech on Discipline
Delivering a speech on a stage facing the audience is still a nightmare for many people. The stage fear is totally normal and happens to many people who are about to deliver their speech. So when you will deliver your speech on discipline on the stage, make sure you are confident. Here are some tips which will help for your speech on discipline.
- Confidence is the soul of any speech. A confident speaker wins the heart of the audience. So practice your speech on discipline a lot.
- Credibility of your information is very importance. So make sure yoour speech contains the true and credible information.
- Practice your speech about discipline in front of your friends, family members or even in front of the mirror to gain the confidence.
- Walk confidently to the stage and do not start your speech immidieatly when you reach there.
- Take a deep breathe, greet the guests and audience, introduce yourself and then start your speech.
- Infuse emotions in your speech. Don’t make your speech on discipline sound robotic.
- Use a good use of hand gestures in your speech.
- Be loud enough to be audible to the audience.
I hope you like my humble attempt to spread information and awareness. If yes then please be generous and rate this article and also leave a comment down below. Be a part of the change. Thank you. 🙂